IMPORTANT: Templates feature has many options, but you need to have this clear:
- The template must not have groups, DynamicJAsper will create them if necessary.
- The detail band must be empty: DynamicJasper will work in the detail band, any previously existing element will be deleted.
- One template per page size and orientation will be needed: This is because DJ knows how to arrange the element he creates, but not the existing ones.
- The following options will be always overwritten by the dynamic report
- number of columns
- When-No-Data behavior
- When-Resource-Missing behavior
- Title start on new page flag (false by default)
- Ignore Pagination flag (false by default)
- Detail Band Split allowed flag (true by default)
- Summary start on new page flag (false by default)
The aim of this feature is to provide a mechanism to allow reusing graphics elements in page header and footers, background band and also styles. Using templates ensures consistent styles across different reports inside an application.
You can write your own jrxml template, and use DynamicJasper to fill it easily:
DynamicReportBuilder drb = new DynamicReportBuilder(); //ReportBuilder initialization drb.setTemplateFile("pathToTemplate/TemplateName.jrxml");
If the template has variables, parameters, fields or datasets you would like to import, you can specifically tell DJ what to import.
public DynamicReportBuilder setTemplateFile(String path, boolean importFields, boolean importVariables, boolean importParameters, boolean importDatasets)
|Note: This feature was introduced since many users needed such functionality.
Importing variables, fields and datasets from jrxml templates can make the report design to not compile due to errors of inconsistency in such objects from the templates and the generated in runtime by DJ.
If you use this feature, its supposed that you know what you are doing
Templates can be loaded from an Absolute Path, or from the Classpath. The API first tries as an absolute path, if it fails, then tries as a resource in the classpath.
Refer to TemplateFileReportTest for a working example.
|Note: You can reference in the DynamicReport styles that where defined in the .jrxml file
For more info: How to Reference a style that exists in a jrxml file